FAQ Q248: Can my customers choose the unit / seat visually (like in airplane or movie theater seat assignment)?
Yes, planyo has such feature. In fact, the visual unit layout has two views: one for the customers showing only the seat/place/unit name and background (green or red based on availability) and one for the administrators showing any information concerning the reservation concerning extended information: available units are also marked as green and unavailable units can show all information concerning the associated reservation (such as name of the customer occupying given seat, their reservation id and duration etc.). This extended information is customizable by you using a template.
The seat layout can be created very easily, in form of a csv file (created in e.g. Excel or Google Drive), where units are represented by single cells in the table. The CSV format rules are very simple:
- Empty cells are used to separate texts and units visually
- A cell is considered to represent a unit if the text in the cell exactly matches a unit name
- All other cell texts are considered to be textual descriptions / labels
- You can create multi-cell fields (texts or units) simply by repeating the same text in neighboring cells. This way you can create rectangles of any size (e.g. for a rectangle of size 2x3 you need to repeat the same text in all 6 cells of the rectangle)
Here's a sample CSV file:
Click here to download this sample CSV file.
|UNIT LAYOUT MAP SAMPLE||UNIT LAYOUT MAP SAMPLE||UNIT LAYOUT MAP SAMPLE||UNIT LAYOUT MAP SAMPLE||UNIT LAYOUT MAP SAMPLE|
|4||Unit 3||Unit 3|
|5||Unit 4||Unit 4|
|6||Unit 4||Unit 4|
|7||Unit 4||Unit 4|
The sample above would be displayed in your reservation forms and elsewhere like this:
Note that it was necessary to repeat the text title UNIT LAYOUT MAP SAMPLE
across multiple columns in order to make this text wide. Also note Units 2, 3 and 4: their name was repeated multiple times in order to visually shape these resources as larger rectangles. As you see all texts except for Unit 1, Unit 2, Unit 3 and Unit 4 were interpreted as labels/descriptions (A through F and 1 through 7 and the title) because no units with these names were found.
In order to use the visual unit maps, you will need to perform the following steps:
- 1. Create a resource with quantity greater than 1 (in resource settings)
- 2. Define as many unit names for the resource as the quantity (on the unit names page)
- 3. Import the CSV file using the format explained above (on the unit layout map page). You'll need to use the unit names defined in step 2.
- 4. (OPTIONAL) You can go to the unit layout admin template page (here) in order to specify the the template used to output additional information about occupied units.
- 5. (OPTIONAL) If you want your customers to be able to select visually the unit/seat, you'll need to go back to the Unit names page and change the option Unit assignment for customer reservations to Units are manually assigned to reservations by both moderators and customers (don't forget to click Update next to it). If this step is skipped, only the admins will be able to use the visual layout map.
Once these steps are done, all reservation forms will show an icon next to the unit choice which will open the visual layout map in a lightbox window. Clicking on a unit will select it in the reservation form. Besides the reservation form, the administrators can use the visual layout map also in the reservation modifications page, in the bulk edit page and in Schedule&Reports / Availability
where they can preview their units visually for any date/time.